Adam B. Whiteman
Described by a client as a "pit bull with a law degree", Adam Whiteman concentrates his practice on commercial collection litigation and real estate law.
Adam is an experienced litigator who can help your business collect what it is owed. He has worked with all manner of product and service providers in recovering on their B2B receivables, and he has decades of experience helping contractors and material suppliers collect what they are owed on construction projects throughout the greater Chicago Metropolitan area and the collar counties (Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will).
Adam is also experienced in the area of Real Estate Law and Home Repair and Remodeling disputes. He has helped homeowners to remove invalid mechanic's liens from their property, and he has helped contractors enforce their liens when they haven't been paid. Notably, he worked with the state legislature and the State Bar Association to draft amendments to the Illinois Home Repair and Remodeling Act.
If you are buying or selling a home, Adam is the one to call. He is knowledgeable and responsive. Your home is likely the biggest financial transaction of your life. Make sure you have solid representation on your side. With Adam as your advocate, you have someone who not only knows the transactional process, but also has the dispute resolution and litigation skills to handle problems that may arise.
Adam is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Law Section Council, the Construction Law Section Council and also served as a peer appointed Chairperson for the Real Property Section Council. Adam is a certified commercial arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and is actively involved as an arbitration judge on a broad range of commercial disputes.
Adam graduated Phi Beta Kappa with honors and distinction from the University of Wisconsin in 1987 and obtained his law degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1991. He clerked for the Honorable Robert D. McLaren, Illinois 2nd Dist. Appellate Judge, worked with a boutique business practice concentrating on commercial litigation and business transactions, and then established his own firm in 1999.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1991
- Honors: Scholarship Recipient for Excellence in area of Real Estate Law
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1987
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: With Honors
- Illinois, 1991
- Wisconsin, 1991
- Commercial Collections and Transactions
- Real Estate Law
- Civil Litigation
- Participating Editor of Chapter 1 "Turner on Illinois Mechanics Liens", authored by Howard Turner, published by the Illinois State Bar Association 2016, cited by the Illinois State Bar Association and the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys as the authoritative work on this subject.
- The Abrogation of Interspousal Immunity and the Existence of Family Exclusion Clauses: Are They Related?, Justice Robert D. McLaren and Adam B. Whiteman, DCBA Brief, vol. 5, issue 2, Oct. 1992.
- Residential Contractors (and subcontractors) BEWARE! The Home Repair and Remodeling Act prevents mechanic’s liens on a residence when there is an oral contract for work that exceeds $1,000, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 53, no. 9, March 2008.
- Navigating the Short Sale, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 54, no. 3, Oct. 2008.
- The Home Repair And Remodeling Act – Can We Fix It?, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 55, no 4, Feb. 2010.
- The New, Improved Home Repair and Remodeling Act, Illinois Bar Journal, vol. 98, no. 9, Sept. 2010.
- A Nightmare on – Street: The Hidden Costs of Private Streets and Reciprocal Easements, Illinois State Bar Association “Real Property”, vol. 58, no. 2, Aug. 2012.
- Is A Failure to Repair Common Elements Germane to a Forcible Entry and Detainer Suite Brought by a Condo Association Against a Unit Owner?, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 58, no. 6, Jan. 2013.
- Condo Eviction Defenses: What is germane?, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 58 no. 7, Feb. 2013.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 58 no. 10, May 2013.
- Zombie Condo Liens: What Are They and What Do We Do About Them?, Illinois State Bar Association publication "Real Property", vol. 60, no. 3, Sept. 2014.
- Who Do You Think You Are Dealing With? Implied Contracts and the Illinois Mechanic's Lien Act, Illinois State Bar Association publication "Real Property", vol. 60 no. 7, Jan. 2015.
- The Resulting loss exception to the Defective Workmanship Exclusion: Are you covered?, Illinois State Bar Association publication "Real Property", vol. 61, no. 1, July 2015.
- Sovereign Immunity and Negligent Inspectors, Illinois State Bar Association publication "Real Property", vol. 61, no. 4, Oct. 2015.
- The Right of Redemption in a Mechanic's Lien Foreclosure, Illinois Bar Journal, vol. 104, no. 1, Page 46, Jan. 2016.
- Pouring Over Water Certs and Utility Prorations, Illinois State Bar Association publication "Real Property", vol. 62, no. 3, Sept. 2016.
- Doing the Deed, Some Property Related Tips for Divorcing Couples, Lake County Bar Association publication “The Docket”, vol. 24, no. 4, April 2017.
- The Costs of Condominium Documents and Disclosures in Condo Sales, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Real Property”, vol. 62, no. 10, May 2017.
- Keeping Homeowners Apprised of Their Rights Under The Illinois Mechanic’s Lien Act, Illinois State Bar Association publication “Building Knowledge”, vol 8, no. 1, Aug. 2017.
- Constructing A Bridge Between the Home Repair and Remodeling Act and the Illinois Mechanic’s Lien Act, Illinois State Bar Association Publication “Real Property”, vol. 64, no. 4, Oct. 2018.
- Collecting on Commercial Debt: The Philosophy of the Fight, Advantage, quarterly publication for the Illinois Lumber and Material Dealer’s Association. (Winter 2019-2020)
- Collection Tip: Overcharging and Kickbacks, Illinois Lumber and Material Dealers Association publication “ILMDA Advantage”, Winter 2021.
Classes & Seminars
- CLE Speaker: ISBA Sponsored event, “Construction Law – What’s New in 2010?” (4/21/2010) Featured topic: The Home Repair & Remodeling Act.
- Featured Speaker for Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association. Topic: New Developments with the Home Repair and Remodeling Act. (2/10/2010)
- Special witness on the Home Repair and Remodeling Act before the Illinois Senate Judiciary Committee. (2/16/2010)
- Panelist on the Illinois State Bar Association cable access Channel 21 program, “Illinois Law” hosted by Marty Dolan. Presentation topic was Residential Construction and Repair. (Air Date 3/2012)
- Featured Speaker for Circuit Court of Cook County, The Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, and the Illinois State Bar Association’s Construction Law and Real Estate Law Section Councils. Topic: The Anatomy of Mechanics Lien Claim. Taught entire chapter from Howard Turner’s book “Turner on Illinois Mechanic’s Liens”. Other panel members included the Honorable Lewis M. Nixon (Mechanics Liens Section Chancery Judge), The Honorable Lisa Curcio (Retired Chancery Judge), The Honorable Clifford Meachum (Retired Chancery Judge) and The Honorable Robert J. Quinn (Retired Chancery Judge) (5/9/2018)
- Moderator, Real Estate Law Update presented by the Illinois State Bar Association’s Real Estate Section Council. (10/19/2017 and 11/3/2017)
- Collecting From The Difficult Debtor: Featured speaker at Annual Exposition for the Illinois Lumber and Material Dealers Association, East Peoria, Illinois. (2/6/2020)
- Presenter Construction Law Primer for Young Attorneys and General Practitioners, Illinois State Bar Association, CLE Seminar. (3/13/2020)
- 2021 ILMDA Virtual Learning Experience Convention. Featured topic “Collections & Lien Issues When Selling Materials and Services to An Owner Occupied Residence”.
- Featured Speaker at Illinois State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education seminar. Topic: The Anatomy of A Residential Real Estate Construction Contract. (10/12/2022)
- American Arbitration Association, Commercial and Consumer Panel Arbitrator, 2008 - Present
- Cook County Circuit Court Arbitrator, Chairperson Certified Arbitration Judge for Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Program, 2002 - Present
- Lake County Circuit Court Arbitrator, Chairperson, 2007 - Present
- Ruskin, Whiteman & Cohen, P.C., Name Partner, 1999 to 2002
- Cowen, Crowley, Nord & Staub, P.C., Chicago, IL, Associate Attorney, 1995 to 1999
- Attorney, Donald A. Shapiro, Ltd., Chicago, IL, Litigation Associate, 1993 to 1995
- Justice Robert D. McLaren, Presiding Judge, Illinois Appellate Court, 2nd District, Law Clerk, 1991 to 1993
- Illinois State Bar Association, Peer elected chairman of the Real Estate Section Council, 2017 to 2018
- Illinois State Bar Association, Editor of Real Property Newsletter, 2009 to 2017
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member ISBA Construction Law Section, 2016 to Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member ISBA Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Law, 2020 to 2021
Current Employment Position
- Senior Partner
- Adam is a Brown Belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu